© Dr John L. Wishlade
CHESTER LEADWORKS AND SHOT TOWER, LEADWORKS LANE (east side)
CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Dr John L. Wishlade
12 April 2001
12 October 1981
Date of last amendment:
12 October 1981
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4166 LEADWORKS LANE
1932-1/6/181 (East side)
12/10/81 Chester Leadworks and Shot Tower
Leadworks and shot tower, the works now largely storage. 1799
and later. Brick; slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: industrial workshop formerly of 6 bays, now 3 bays
plus a higher west bay. The lower brickwork of south side to
Chester Canal altered C20, with doorway and 9 metal windows;
gable clock, 1801, face to canal. The partly-glazed roofs are
partly covered with sheet materials.
The shot tower, the principal feature which justifies the star
grading of this item, was built by Walkers Parker and Co. in
1799, primarily to provide lead shot for the Napoleonic wars
and the only British shot tower now to remain in use. It is
embraced by the workshops. Circular, 30 feet (9.1m) diameter
at base and 20 feet (6.0m) diameter at crown, it is 168 feet
(41.19m) high with an attached lightly clad steel-framed C20
INTERIOR: the shot-tower interior is intact with peripheral
stone spiral stair; 4 round-arched windows, rising with the
stair, to each turn.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the tower is important as evidence of the
revolutionary process of shot production patented by William
Watts in 1783.
(Associated Lead Manufacturers Trade Journal: Nichols DA:
Chester's Shot Tower: London: 1980-).