You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 469879  

Print Page



© Mr Graham R. Heasman

IoE Number: 469879
Location: OLD VICARAGE AND PARISH ROOM TO CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY, PARKGATE ROAD (south west side)
  CHESTER, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Graham R. Heasman
Date Photographed: 01 March 2006
Date listed: 10 January 1972
Date of last amendment: 23 July 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHESTER CITY (EM) SJ46NW PARKGATE ROAD 1932-1/2/219 (South West side) 10/01/72 Old Vicarage and Parish Room to Church of St Thomas of Canterbury (Formerly Listed as: PARKGATE ROAD St Oswald's Vicarage) GV II Vicarage, now English Department of Chester College. 1880. By John Douglas. Red-brown brick with plaster panels; graded Westmorland green slate roofs. PLAN: Asymmetric plan with porch and stair left, corridors in recessed central portion, attic stair, ancillary rooms and former parish room in single-storey wing, right, all facing north-east; all principal rooms face south-west garden, and views; c.f. Douglas's home, Walmoor, Dee Banks (qv). EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Stair roof sweeps down to front left, apsidal 2-storey porch has stone steps to brick archway, 9-panel door in leaded half-glazed timber screen. Casements have moulded brick mullions, stone transoms to ground floor and ogee and basket-arched heads to upper lights; leaded lights, some removed. Two 3-light casements to corridor; square turret for secondary stair; 5-light casement in front gable, right. Parish room has porch in corner with house, doorway arched; a triple lancet and a pair of lancets. The second storey has terracotta jetty to porch and central bay; apsidal chapel above porch has brick strings and hoodmoulds to a lancet in each face. Two 3-light leaded casements to the upper corridor; loops to turret and a course of basket-arched lights beneath the eaves to its pyramidal roof with weather-vane; 3-light casement in right gable. Rectangular plaster panels beneath corridor windows; lozenge panels with brick diapering in gable. A lateral chimney at inner corner of porch-bay with house; a large chimney before the ridge of the central roof. The south-east end has a projecting shaped chimney behind the ridge; a French window with 2 leaded lights above and a cross-window to stair; plaster lozenge-panels in gable. The garden front has a long, simple rear wing left, dividing garden from Parish Room; a 2 storey 6-light canted bay-window, right; three 3-light casements to ground floor of central portion; a band of lozenge-panels to central portion and rectangular panels to bay window; a horizontal band of rhythmically-grouped mullioned casements to bedrooms; rear gable-end to left bay has a basket-arched light to the first floor and a 2-light casement beneath the plastered apex to the gable. INTERIOR: has a number of features and details typical of Douglas: pine doors of 5, 6 and 9 panels with reeded stiles, muntins and rails; door furniture; fireplace surrounds with good tiles and timber detailing, with inlaid work; timber screen with leaded glazing; a good open-well stair with timber screen to landing; trusses to Parish Room roof of well-expressed simple carpentry.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.