You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471500  

Print Page



© Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS

IoE Number: 471500
Location: TOWN HALL, BEXLEY SQUARE (north side)
  SALFORD, SALFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr F. Bryan Basketter LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 October 1999
Date listed: 31 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 31 January 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SALFORDSJ8298NEBEXLEY SQUARE949-1/19/3(North side)

SALFORD SJ8298NE BEXLEY SQUARE 949-1/19/3 (North side) 31/01/52 Town Hall GV II Town hall. 1825-7. Richard Lane. Ashlar-faced, rusticated to ground floor, and low pitched roof not visible. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range. Neo-classical style, with full-height central pedimented section of 3 bays slightly advanced. Central engaged fluted Doric shafts, and outer square pilasters supporting entablature with laurel wreath frieze. Similar pilasters at angles. Central entrance doors with overlight. 2-pane sash window in each bay, the outer ground-floor windows with entablatures carried on console brackets. Brick return elevations with tripartite sash windows in main block, then long range divided 4-3-3-9 bays, of varying heights, but all with stone dressings to sash windows. Central entrance hall with staircases to sides, then central corridor running the length of the building. Floor and dado tiling by Craven Dunnill. Adjoining the original block to the west, an additional range of administrative buildings of c1900 runs parallel to the original range, to which it is linked by a single-storey entrance wing. Brick with stone dressings, and overhanging moulded eaves cornice to Welsh slate roof. 5 bays divided by brick pilasters to courtyard, and pedimented doorway with "Water Office" inscribed in the entablature. 7 bays beyond, with 4 advanced gables with alternately segmental and triangular pediments each with modillion cornice, rusticated brick piers marking angles, and enriched stone architraves to windows. Single-storey cross-wing links to original building, with segmental pediment over doorway. Long return elevation to Ford Street divided as a series of bays by brick pilasters: sash windows with stone architraves, and heavy segmentally-arched doorway in advanced gable with steep open pediment. Symmetrical rear elevation has outer gables with open pediments in front of shallow drum towers linked by part-glazed mansard roof.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.