You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 471689  

Print Page



© Mr Andrew C. Letchford

IoE Number: 471689
Location: TINSIDE LIDO AND CHANGING ROOMS, HOE ROAD (south off)
  PLYMOUTH, PLYMOUTH, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Andrew C. Letchford
Date Photographed: 16 August 2002
Date listed: 17 November 1998
Date of last amendment: 17 November 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

740-1/25/10064 HOE ROAD 17-NOV-98 (South,off) Tinside Lido and Changing Rooms II Sea water bathing pool. 1935 by J Wibberley, borough engineer, with Edmund Nuttall and Sons and John Mowlem and Company, builders, with entrance building of 1933 by the same engineer. Mass concrete pool strengthened by counterfort walls and reinforced concrete inner walls, duct walls and floors; with reinforced concrete buildings and some stone retaining walls. The entrance building faced in stone. Semi-circular pool, 180 feet in diameter, with projecting jetties, and at entrance circular cutwaters separated by steps. Entrance buildings used largely for sunbathing, with flat roofs and metal windows. The changing rooms also with flat roof, in art deco style, with square metal windows and prominent staircase leading from the cliff face to the pool side and leading to changing rooms. The upper floor with balcony, the lower floor with changing rooms (not inspected). Staircase with original tiling and balustrading, and relief figure. The pool has three fountains which aereated the water, and is surrounded by cast-iron railings. To the north east of the pool the sea wall continues with three semi-circular bastion-like projections, between which there are broad steps to the shore and above pavilions with railed terraces on top and integral shelters on the south west end facing the pool. Source. Opening brochure, 2 October 1935.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.