© Mr Gerald Rendle
DEVONPORT GUILDHALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, KER STREET
PLYMOUTH, PLYMOUTH, DEVON
Mr Gerald Rendle
06 February 2007
25 January 1954
Date of last amendment:
09 November 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SX4554 KER STREET, Devonport
740-1/54/151 Devonport Guildhall and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
KER STREET, Devonport
Guildhall. 1821-22 by John Foulston. Stucco. Rectangular plan
plus transepts towards rear; designed to resemble an ancient
Single storey; tetrastyle Greek Doric portico with fluted
columns on stylobate; entablature with dentils and a stepped
parapet surmounted by Britannia. Within the portico are more
steps up to a central tapered doorway with eared architrave
and a moulded entablature; pair of 5-panel doors. Side walls
each with 5 windows and a pedimented transept. Windows nearest
front are blind, the others have late C19 paired round-arched
INTERIOR: of main hall has plaster cornice decoration.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stuccoed and coped courtyard walls at
either side are ramped up towards the front and with doorways
with pairs of panelled doors at the front end.
Part of an important group of civic structures by Foulston,
some of the most remarkable of their date in the country.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: