You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 473954  

Print Page

© Mr David Ross LRPS

IoE Number: 473954
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (south west side)
Photographer: Mr David Ross LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 September 2000
Date listed: 22 April 1950
Date of last amendment: 22 April 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHARLTON KINGSSO9620SWCHURCH STREET630-1/36/25(South West side)

CHARLTON KINGS SO9620SW CHURCH STREET 630-1/36/25 (South West side) 22/04/50 Church of St Mary GV II* Parish church. Norman, c1190; tower and south aisle c1390-1400; remodelled in C15; north aisle and vestry added 1822-4; heavily restored and extended 1877-78 by John Middleton including rebuilding of chancel and extension of nave by one bay; further vestry extensions made in 1898, 1917 and 1988; stained glass mainly by Curtis, Ward and Bell, and by Clayton and Bell; reredos by WH Fry of 1901. MATERIALS: limestone with stone slate roof. PLAN: aisled nave, 3 bays externally, 5 bays internally, south porch, 3-stage crossing tower, transepts, 2-bay chancel and north vestry. Decorated style. Chamfered plinth. Buttresses with off-sets. EXTERIOR: south porch has shallow 4-centred arch with chamfered surrounds, plank door. South side has 3- and 4-light windows with reticulated tracery to heads with recut headstops. North side: three 3-light windows with reticulated-type tracery to heads. West end: 3 gables with central rose window, central pointed entrance with roll-moulded surround on pillars with inner chamfer, between windows with reticulated tracery. Transepts (alike) have 3-light windows with reticulated tracery. North vestry has 4-centred opening with plank door between rectangular lights, two 3-light mullion window and 3-cusped-light window to vestry east end. Chancel has 2-light window to north, 3-light to east both with reticulated tracery, two 2-light windows to south. Tower: diagonal buttresses, staircase to south-east, slit openings, bands, 2-light belfry openings, traceried crenellations with finials. INTERIOR: nave has double-chamfered arcade on alternate octagonal and cylindrical piers (no capitals). Traces of low ribbed vaulting on south transept are taken to indicate that this was the site of the Chantry Chapel (dedicated c1290) with priest's chamber above; ogee-arched piscina. Blocked east window in north transept (probably Norman). FITTINGS: octagonal tub font with curvilinear traceried decoration, probably C12 recut C14. Reredos by WH Fry of Charlton Kings, also by Fry are oak screens across transepts. MEMORIALS: numerous wall memorials, mostly late C18 and early C19 villa dwellers, one in north transept to William Hunt Prinn of Charlton Park (d.1821 by T King of Bath) also to Sir William Russell of Charlton Park (d.1838 by Lewis of Cheltenham). STAINED GLASS: aisle west windows by Clayton and Bell, 3 striking windows in north aisle by Curtis, Ward and Hughes (1911-14). SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: mass dial now in south wall near westernmost buttress, probably c1190. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Mary's started as a chapel of ease to Cheltenham parish church, also St Mary's (qv). John Middleton designed several churches in Cheltenham including All Saints, All Saints' Road (qv); St Mark, Church Road (qv); St Philip and St James, Gratton Road (qv); St Stephen, St Stephen's Road (qv); and Holy Apostles, London Road, Charlton Kings (qv). (The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 119-20; Paget M (ed), Charlton Kings Local History Society: A History of Charlton Kings: Gloucester: 1988-: 100-126; Charlton Kings Local History Society Bulletin: 1979-: 1-48; Sladen T: Notes: 1995-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.