© Mr Stuart Goodall
CANUTE CHAMBERS, CANUTE ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
19 July 2000
29 July 1999
Date of last amendment:
29 July 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD
983/5/10032 Canute Chambers
Offices of shipping company. Built in 1893 for the American Line. Flemish bond red brick with Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile roof, gabled and half-hipped. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: Rectangular on plan, cross-gabled to right [W] and with central entrance. Queen Anne/Dutch Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical north front with large 2-bay Dutch gable on right in five stages with semi-circular pediment, datestone 1893, cornices, blind arcading and first and second floor windows with moulded brick architraves with keystones and cornices; stone frieze below second floor windows inscribed Canute Chambers. Large ground floor windows have cambered arches with keystones and frames within with cornices, the left window retaining its sashes with pilasters; large canted bay window to left of centre with modillion cornice and central porch with scrolled pediment, arcaded overlight and double doors with scrolled pediments to centre panels. Lower eaves on left with dormers above with
semi-circular pediments. Similar, but simpler, rear [S] elevation. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: Canute Chambers was built for the American Line. In 1907 it was occupied by the Great White Star Line, and in 1931 it was taken over by the United States Line, which occupied the offices until 1969.