© Mr Stuart Goodall
PROVINCIAL HOUSE AND GATEPIERS TO NORTH EAST, CANUTE ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON, SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE
Mr Stuart Goodall
19 July 2000
29 July 1999
Date of last amendment:
29 July 1999
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD
983/5/10031 Provincial House and
gatepiers to NE
Bank. 1927-9; by F.C.R. Palmer, for the National Provincial Bank. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick with red brick and Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with moulded Portland stone eaves. Side stacks with Portland stone weathering to set-offs and moulded stone caps.
PLAN: Almost square, parallelogram on plan, to fit site adjacent to former railway; with entrance and staircase on north front and banking hall at back.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay north front, the corners with quoins set back; the ground floor windows and large central round-arch doorway with rusticated architraves, voussoirs and band at impost level; broad stone stringcourse above and tall central first floor window in moulded stone architrave with cornice on consoles; flanking windows and second floor window above in red brick architraves with keystones, the second floor window flanked by carved stone festoons; cornice and balustrade above with urns on corners; the attic above is set back and has hipped roof with dormer with segmental pediment. The side and rear elevations are similarly treated. Rainwater heads dated 1928.
INTERIOR: Banking hall has a moulded plaster ceiling. Small entrance vestibule and geometric stone staircase with iron balustrade with brass handrail.