You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 476250  

Print Page



© Mr Ian Pringle

IoE Number: 476250
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGES ROAD (north side)
  BOLTON, BOLTON, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Ian Pringle
Date Photographed: 18 June 2002
Date listed: 26 April 1974
Date of last amendment: 26 April 1974
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BOLTONSD7109NEST GEORGE'S ROAD797-1/14/195(North side)

BOLTON SD7109NE ST GEORGE'S ROAD 797-1/14/195 (North side) 26/04/74 Church of St George GV II* Includes: Church of St George BATH STREET. Church, now in use as craft centre. 1796 with late C20 alterations. Brick with slate roof and stone dressings. West tower and single span roof over galleried nave, expressed externally as 2 storeys; shallow chancel and south chapel added or rebuilt 1907, by James Simpson. EXTERIOR: 4 stage tower, with pedimented west doorway with traceried fanlight; iron-framed ogee window above, and clock inset in stone. Triple bell-chamber lights beneath segmental archway in upper stage. Stone parapet with ball finials. 7-bay nave, extended by a single bay to the north-east. Pedimented over central 4 windows each side. Round arched windows with margin lights, the window in the north-east extension in stone architrave. West doors each side, with diagonal panelling and pedimented cases. Interlace tracery in fanlights. Early C20 chancel in flamboyant interpretation of the classical style; Pedimented feature applied to east wall, with round arched main window with oculus above, in segmentally arched recess with elongated voussoirs, and panelled pilasters each side. Venetian window in each wall of south chapel. INTERIOR: 7 bays, with galleries to west, north and south. Wood panelling encasing supporting pillars, and panelled parapet to galleries. Segmentally arched ceiling, divided into plaster panels with simple mouldings. Low stone wall to chancel which is raised up steps flanked by heavy volutes as balusters. Coupled piers divide the chancel into 2 bays, expressed by enriched plasterwork to segmentally arched ceiling. Paired arches to chapel to south, with organ chamber to north. Pilasters flank the east window, which has pictorial stained glass as a private war memorial. Chancel furniture in Renaissance style, including choir stalls and ornate high pedestal pulpit with long curved staircase; altar rails and altar piece with central niche below broken pediment. (BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.