© John Boothroyd ARPS
OLD DEANERY COURT WITH LINK WALL ALONG EAST SIDE, CATHEDRAL GREEN (north side)
WELLS, MENDIP, SOMERSET
John Boothroyd ARPS
30 April 2001
12 November 1953
Date of last amendment:
31 May 2000
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5445 CATHEDRAL GREEN
662-1/7/39 (North side)
12/11/53 Old Deanery Court, with link wall
along east side
(Formerly Listed as:
The Old Deanery)
(Formerly Listed as:
The Deanery Wall)
Former house, now offices. C15, refenestrated in C16 and
altered in mid C20. Random stone rubble with ashlar dressings,
mostly Welsh slate roof between coped gables. A single-depth
first-floor hall plan, with through passage to the left, and
with lateral fireplace to rear of upper hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 6 bays irregular fenestration. A C20
3-light window to lower bay 1, 2-light chamfer mullioned
windows to ground floor bays 2, 4, 5 and 6, and to first floor
to right of bay 2; between bays and 5, and to bay 6, are
2-light transomd windows, the upper lights pointed-arched,
under square labels; bay 3 has a moulded 4-centre arch,
reused, set in a former throughway under a timber lintel:
battlemented parapet masking roof to bays 1, 2 and 3, vertical
straight joint between bays 1 and 2. This thought to be a
separate house originally (Pevsner).
INTERIOR: the ground floor has probably early C16 moulded
beams, probably in compartments in the original layout. At the
E end a stone 4-centred doorway opens to the rear. The upper
hall, now subdivided, has a roof in 5 bays with heavy
arch-braced collars, chamfered purlins and wind-bracing, but
with an upper cruck in the end bay, adjacent to the
full-height wall inserted at the through-passage. The third
bay at the back has a stone fire surround.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending from the south-east corner is a
lower battlemented rubble wall, with a central 4-centre-arched
gateway, linking into the gateway (qv) on the south side of
the courtyard. Part of a major building complex long
associated with the Cathedral and its administration.
Link Wall along east side was listed on 130972.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 317).