You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483599  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 483599
Location: TOR HILL COTTAGE, TOR HILL (east side)
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 04 August 2007
Date listed: 13 September 1972
Date of last amendment: 13 September 1972
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WELLS ST5545 TOR HILL 662-1/5/317 (East side) 13/09/72 Tor Hill Cottage II Former toll house. Soon after 1764, built by the Wells Trust, modified early C20. local stone rubble, clay pantiled roof with plain gables to main block but coped gables to south-east crossing, stone chimney stacks with brick tops. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays of which bay 3 is the crosswing gable. Horizontal-bar casement windows of 2-lights to bays 1, 2 and upper bay 3, and a 4-pane sash window to lower bay 3, the lower casements under segmental arched heads and the sash having a timber lintel. Plain boarded door in leanto porch against the west face of the crosswing. Blocked archway, presumably for a window, to right of bay 1, where the window appears to be in a former doorway. Single-storey leanto against north- west gable, with blocked doorway on front elevation. South-east elevation has a single 9 pane sash window to ground floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. The original toll house was built on this site "soon after an Act of 1764"

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.