You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 483836  

Print Page



© Ms Ros Sargent

IoE Number: 483836
Location: BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST,
  BURFORD, SOUTH SHROPSHIRE, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Ros Sargent
Date Photographed: 01 November 2004
Date listed: 12 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BURFORD SO56NE Burford House and garden wall 582-1/8/19 attached to the south-east. 12/11/54 GV II* House. Early to mid C18, reputed to be built in 1728 for William Bowles M.P., proprietor of the Vauxhall glass works. Restored and altered c1954 for John Treasure. Red brick with brick storey bands and brick parapet. Plain-tile roof with brick coped parapets and gables. Brick integral gable-end stacks with lateral and axial stacks. Double-pile plan with rear parallel extension. EXTERIOR: north front is a 3-storey 6-window range of tall 9/9 sashes to ground and first floors, and 6/6 second-floor sashes, all with gauged brick lintels. Early C19 central projecting porch with Doric columns and open pediment. Front door set in panelled reveals, with pair of glazed panelled doors with fanlight with radial glazing bars. Later brick wings on east and west sides now demolished. East side now with C20 multi-pane casements at ground and first floor. West side with C20 first-floor sash and ground-floor French windows with flanking casements, terrace to west formed from demolished wing and incorporating stone from base of medieval chimney. Rear: 3-storey 5-window range of 6/6 sashes with gauged brick lintels, central restored projecting porch mirroring the front porch and with glazed door and fanlight with festoon and radial glazing bars. INTERIOR: contains some good panelling to ground-floor rooms. The entrance hall has complete wall panelling, moulded cornices, 6-panelled doors, and elliptical arched panelled arcade. Brick walls approximately 3 metres high with weathered coping extending from the south-east corner of Burford House approximately 80 metres to the east and then 40 metres to the south.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.