You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484902  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 484902
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH ST THOMAS, HARDMAN STREET (south side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 April 2005
Date listed: 11 July 1983
Date of last amendment: 11 July 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD50SE HARDMAN STREET, Poolstock 24-1/5/134 (South side) 11/07/83 Church of St James with St Thomas II* Formerly known as: Church of St James HARDMAN STREET Poolstock. Church. 1863-6 (dated 1866 on tower). By EG Paley. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Decorated style. PLAN: nave with west tower, north and south aisles, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. EXTERIOR: the large 5-stage west tower, with angle buttresses up to the 4th stage (those at the south-west corner clasping a vice), has a segmental-pointed west doorway with moulded surround, double-doors with large ornamental strap hinges, and a hood-mould with figured stops (as have all the windows in the church); a 2-centred arched 4-light traceried west window; a crocketed niche at the 3rd stage containing the monogrammed date "1866" (2-light windows in the sides at this level); clockfaces to the 4th stage; pairs of 2-light gabled belfry windows with stone louvres; a frieze with ball-flower enrichment and a pierced parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Both the high 5-bay nave and its aisles have cavetto cornices with grotesques between bays, and embattled parapets with pierced triangular upstands between bays; the nave has a clerestory of coupled segmental-pointed 2-light windows with crocketed shafts and tracery alternately mouchette and trefoil, and large east pinnacles; the aisles are buttressed and have one 2-centred arched 3-light traceried window in each bay, except the 2nd of the south aisle which has a large gabled porch which has (inter alia) a 2-centred arched moulded doorway with semi-columns, ball-flower ornament, and a hood-mould with figured stops and crocketed finial. The lower 2-bay chancel, with diagonal buttresses, a cornice like that of the nave and a parapet of pierced trefoils, has a 2-bay transept to the 1st bay with a geometrical rose window, a 2-light window to the 2nd bay, and a very large 2-centred arched 5-light east window with wheel tracery in the head. INTERIOR: tall 5-bay arcades of slender columns alternately quatrefoil with annular caps and octagonal with carved stiff-leaf caps (all different), moulded 2-centred arches with hood-moulds which have large figured stops (all different); paired clerestory windows in reveals with free-standing shafts; carved angel corbels (all different) to arch-braced king post roof trusses which have open-work spandrels; large moulded chancel arch; richly-decorated chancel including ornate reredos, 2 tiers of niches with carved figures flanking east window (1877), side walls with carved stone panels and frescoes with painted figures on gilded ground; good stained glass in chancel and chapel by Hardman of Birmingham. HISTORY: founded by James and Nathaniel Eckersley (of Eckersleys Mills, Swan Meadow Road, (qv)).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.