You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484957  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 484957
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STANDISHGATE (east side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 28 April 2005
Date listed: 24 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD5806SW STANDISHGATE 24-1/6/73 (East side) 24/10/51 Church of St John GV II* Roman Catholic church. Dated 1819 on frieze of colonnaded porch; restoration in progress at time of inspection (July 1992). MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar, hipped slate roof. STYLE: Classical. PLAN: rectangular, set back from, and at right-angles to street. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical west front with full-width Ionic colonnaded porch, the frieze inscribed "ERECTED ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXIX", 1st-floor impost band, cornice with blocking course and small central upstand. Large round-headed doorways in the 3 centre bays, all with stepped voussoirs, panelled double doors and fanlights with radiating glazing bars; and at 1st floor large round-headed windows in the 1st, 3rd and 5th bays, that in the centre now filled with C20 mosaic and the others with renewed arched joinery. 4-bay side walls, pilastered, with large round-headed windows in the 1st 3 bays; small vestry with hipped roof attached to 4th bay of north side; louvred cupola with domed roof over 4th bay of south side. Rear: large round-headed window in centre, flanked by pairs of 12-pane sashes on 2 levels. INTERIOR: not accessible at time of inspection, but noted to have Corinthian pilasters with entablature and prominent mutuled cornice, internal apse with giant Corinthian semi-columns and elaborate baldachino, and west gallery on Corinthian columns. Forms group with Walmesley monument in front (qv) and with No.93 (St John's Club (qv)) beside entrance passage. (Little B: Catholic Churches since 1623: London: 1966-; Watkin D: The Buildings of Britain: Regency: London: 1982-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.