You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484959  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 484959
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, STANDISHGATE (east side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 28 April 2005
Date listed: 24 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD50NE STANDISHGATE 24-1/2/75 (East side) 24/10/51 Church of St Mary II* Roman Catholic church. 1818; altered. Sandstone ashlar, with sides and rear of coursed squared sandstone; slate roof. Gothick style with Perpendicular features to the facade. PLAN: rectangular plan set back from, and at right-angles to street, with integral narthex, nave with north and south aisles, short chancel. EXTERIOR: a 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical facade, the centre gabled and the outer bays (ends of aisles) lower; with pilaster-buttresses modulated to tall diagonal crocketed pinnacles and an embattled parapet with a bellcote at the apex of the gable. The wide centre bay has a large 2-centred arched 5-light transomed window with surround chamfered in 3 orders, ogee-headed lights on both levels, dense geometric Perpendicular tracery in the head, and a hood-mould. The flanking bays each have a Tudor-arched doorway with double-chamfered surround, hollow spandrels and a hood-mould, and a 2-centred arched 2-light window above. All these windows have geometrical small-paned stained glass. Lower outer bays have diagonal buttresses. The 5-bay side walls have tall 2-centred arched 3-light transomed windows with flush transoms and mullions. The chancel has a 5-light window with eclectic tracery. INTERIOR: 5-bay aisle arcades of slender clustered wooden columns and moulded 2-centred arches; galleries to 3 sides, with Gothick traceried front panelling; closed trusses to a shallow-pitched ceiling with moulded ribs and large foliated bosses; glazed screen below west gallery, with Gothick tracery and leaded glazing; curved stone staircases to gallery in both front corners. (Little B: Catholic Churches since 1623: London: 1966-; Watkin D: The Buildings of Britain: Regency: London: 1982-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.