You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484960  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 484960
Location: MAB'S CROSS, STANDISHGATE (east side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 28 April 2005
Date listed: 11 July 1983
Date of last amendment: 11 July 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD50NE STANDISHGATE 24-1/2/76 (East side) 11/07/83 Mab's Cross GV II* Stump of boundary cross. Probably C13; moved to this site from opposite side of road (probably in early C20). Gritstone. Square plinth of 2 courses of large rectangular blocks (formerly secured by metal staples); and, loosely mounted diagonally on top of this, a large square cross-base with the stump of a chamfered shaft set in it. Attached to the front of the plinth is a lettered metal plaque relating the well-known legend that in 1323 Lady Mabel Bradshaigh did penance for bigamy by walking barefoot from Haigh Hall to this cross once a week for the rest of her life.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.