You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484991  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 484991
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WALLGATE (west off)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 27 August 2007
Date listed: 24 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD5805NW WALLGATE 24-1/7/106 (West side (off)) 24/10/51 Church of All Saints GV II* Formerly known as: Church of All Saints MARKET PLACE. Parish church. Mainly C15; but, except for the north tower and chapel, restored 1845-50 by Sharpe and Paley to the point of substantial rebuilding as a faithful copy; tower, top stage by Paley in 1861, restored and partly re-faced in 1922. Tower and chapel mostly of coursed squared sandstone; otherwise, sandstone ashlar, lead-clad roof. Perpendicular style. PLAN: 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel as one vessel, with continuous south aisle, south porch at west end of this, north aisle with tower attached at junction with chancel and chapel to west of this, north vestry to chancel. EXTERIOR: the nave and chancel, separated by octagonal turrets with crocketed caps, have tall 4-centred arched clerestory windows coupled in each bay so as to form an almost continuous arcade, all the windows of 3 lights (except a 2-light window at the west end) with deep splayed reveals and linked hood-moulds, those of the nave with cusped lights and hollow spandrels and those of the chancel with Perpendicular tracery over similar lights. The south aisle is buttressed, with one large 4-centred arched window in each bay, those to the nave of 3 cusped lights with mouchette tracery and those to the chancel of 4 cusped lights with differing tracery in the heads (quatrefoil in the 1st, Perpendicular in the 2nd). Both nave and aisle have moulded bands and embattled parapets with slender crocketed pinnacles, those of the nave rising from angel corbels on the band and those of the aisle from carved grotesques. Prominent gabled porch to 2nd bay of nave aisle, in matching style, with moulded 2-centred arched doorway; priest doorway to 2nd bay of chancel aisle. At the west end the nave has a large 6-light traceried window with brattished transom, over a band of enriched quatrefoils; at the east end, the chancel has a large 7-light window with a transom, cusped lights below and Perpendicular tracery above. The north aisle has 3 bays, a square-headed doorway in the centre and large 7-light windows with Perpendicular tracery in the others. The tower, square and of 4 unequal stages, with diagonal buttresses, has small 2-centred arched windows to the 2nd stage with Y-tracery; large coupled 3-light belfry windows with stone louvres and Perpendicular tracery, and a short blind-arcaded top stage with a clock face in the centre of each side, a moulded cornice with prominent corner gargoyles, and an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and a pair of smaller ones in each side. The 2-bay chapel has large depressed arched windows of 5 stepped lights with cavetto mullions and hollow spandrels: 2 in the north side and one in the west gable, the latter with a C19 doorway breaking into its left corner. INTERIOR: 6-bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil columns with moulded 2-centred arches, shafts between the bays rising to clerestory and surmounted by consoles with statues of angels; at west end, tiered Corporation stalls of 1850; Perpendicular-style coffered roof with moulded beams and joists (said to be largely old timbers); chancel arch with good painted and carved screen and next to this a pulpit in matching style; chancel with Minton tiling; south chapel containing damaged stone effigies (believed to represent Sir William de Bradshaigh and wife Mab); north chapel with various Walmesley wall monuments; in south aisle wall monuments to Roger Downes of Wardley (1676), John Baldwin (d.1726) a small elaborately carved cartouche, William Bankes of Winstanley (1689) a draped cartouche with skull, and a stained glass window of St Christopher by William Morris 1868.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.