You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 484997  

Print Page



© Mr John Champness

IoE Number: 484997
Location: WAR MEMORIAL SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ENCIRCLING RAILINGS, WALLGATE (west off)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Champness
Date Photographed: 27 May 2005
Date listed: 24 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WIGAN SD5805NW WALLGATE 24-1/7/112 (West side (off)) 24/10/51 War Memorial south of Church of All Saints, with encircling railings GV II* War memorial. 1925, by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Portland stone with bronze plaques. Eleanor Cross type. Octagonal 3-stage plinth, the centre and upper stages surrounded by rectangular bronze plaques with names of the fallen in raised lettering, and the upper stage with re-entrants on the south and north sides, the south lettered: "REMEMBER THE MEN OF WIGAN WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES TO THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945", and the north: "A GOOD LIFE HATH BUT A FEW DAYS / BUT A GOOD NAME LIVETH FOR EVER". High octagonal pillar with panelled sides, triangular shafts to the corners carried up to wreath-bearing figures between the windows of an elaborately and delicately traceried lantern with a corona and apex cross. Curved triangular memorial garden surrounded by dwarf walls with chamfered coping and dwarf quatrefoiled iron railings; entrances at corners flanked by lamp standards on octagonal plinths. Forms group with Church of All Saints (qv).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.