© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
KEYNSHAM ABBEY REMAINS TO THE SOUTH OF NUMBER 3 (NUMBER 3 NOT INCLUDED), ABBEY PARK (south side)
KEYNSHAM, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
13 January 2005
19 June 1975
Date of last amendment:
17 July 2000
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST6568 ABBEY PARK
739-1/4/3 (South side)
19/06/75 Keynsham Abbey, remains to the south
of No.3 (No.3 not included)
(Formerly Listed as:
Remains of Keynsham Abbey to the
south of No.3)
Walling, remains of Keynsham Abbey, founded c1170 for
Augustinian Canons, dissolved 1539 and materials on site used
for building the Bridges' mansion. The standing remains are of
finely dressed ashlar with surviving architectural detail
including late C12 bases; they include the lower parts of the
south transept of the Abbey Church with adjoining parts of the
south aisle. Sections of the nave have also been exposed and
some monastic buildings including the Chapter House.
HISTORICAL NOTE: after the Dissolution in 1539 the site was
occupied by a house built by the Bridges family (pulled down
in 1776). Many fragments from the site are to be found in
various parts of Keynsham, the majority having been rescued
and stored as museum pieces at the Town Hall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 210).