No Image Available
CHURCH OF ST MARY, QUEEN SQUARE (north side)
SALTFORD, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
27 February 1950
Date of last amendment:
17 July 2000
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST6867 QUEEN SQUARE
739-1/6/89 (North side)
27/02/50 Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
QUEEN STREET, Saltford
Church of St Mary)
Anglican parish church. C12 or possibly Saxon origin, some mid
C17 rebuilding following Civil War damage in 1643; restored
and remodelled in 1832, with much of walling rebuilt on
earlier foundations. Coursed and squared limestone; uncoursed
masonry to tower, the lower stage quoined; roof tiled in 1960,
replacing Welsh slates and earlier stone slates.
PLAN: 2-bay nave with long one bay chancel and west tower;
EXTERIOR: chancel on north and south walls has one 2-light
2-centre arched window with Y-tracery and lean-to north vestry
with reset C15 head stops. South side of nave has C19
three-light windows with intersecting tracery. North side of
nave, which has retained more medieval masonry, has (from
east) a C18 2-light mullioned window with beaded surround,
3-light Perpendicular Gothic window and late C15/C16
square-headed window opening with double-chamfered surround
and chamfered mullions, the latter with later replacement in
part. 3-stage tower, with small square-headed and round-arched
lights; C19 Norman Revival-style doorway to north, beneath
much restored medieval 2-light window with C19 plate-tracery
head; upper stage, rebuilt in C19, has round- and
segmental-arched windows and is crenellated with corner
obelisk pinnacles; early C19 lean-to to north.
INTERIOR: plastered walls; plastered barrel-vaulted roof to
chancel; chancel arch remodelled in C17, with semicircular
arch set on moulded medieval (C14) piers; C19 collar-truss
roof to nave. c1832 west gallery on slender cast-iron columns.
FITTINGS: late C19 brass eagle lectern; pulpit made up from
C17 fragments; pews of 1934.
MEMORIALS: wall memorials mostly of C18 and C19 date, with one
STAINED GLASS: some C19 stained glass, including east window
and red glass margin panes to chancel; fine First World War
memorial windows to each side of nave: north-east to Francis
Welford Ward, south-east to Arthur Harold Hobbs by Humphries
Jackson and Ambler Ltd of Manchester. Notable example of a C13
font, with circular top on chamfered octagonal base with 8
well carved early Gothic style heads.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a drawing in the vestry of 1789 shows the
church with a gabled south porch and corbelling to the upper
gabled stage of the tower, since removed. Pevsner gives an
incorrect 1851 date for the restoration.
Saltford Manor House (qv), Dovecote (qv) and Church form a
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 254; White E: Keynsham and Saltford:
Keynsham: 1990-: 78, 83).