You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 485125  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 485125
Location: SALTFORD MANOR HOUSE, QUEEN SQUARE (north side)
  SALTFORD, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 16 November 2000
Date listed: 27 February 1950
Date of last amendment: 17 July 2000
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SALTFORD ST6867 QUEEN SQUARE 739-1/6/91 (North side) 27/02/50 Saltford Manor House (Formerly Listed as: KEYNSHAM QUEEN SQUARE, Saltford (North side) Saltford Manor House) GV II* Manor house. c1160 with early C13, C15, 1637, 1645, C19 and mid C20 alterations and additions. Original Norman manor house built by Earl William of Gloucester; major mid C17 remodelling during ownership of two generations of Flower family. Squared and coursed rubble laid in distinct bands to south facade, coursed rubble to north facade, ashlar dressings, copings and gabled single-Roman tile roof to main range, pantiles to west wing; ashlar stacks to west gable end and mid-ridge. PLAN: main range is the extent of the original Norman manor with cellarage and first-floor hall with solar to the east and parlour to the west; in the early C13 the parlour was possibly converted into a chapel. In the C15 the cellar was turned into a living space and the hall horizontally divided into 2 floors. The wing to the west (now in separate ownership and not included in the listing) was probably added in the Tudor period and a further wing was built to the west in the mid C17. Small early C19 outshuts to rear. EXTERIOR: 3-storey; 3-window range. Ground floor to south front has two 3-light ovolo-moulded mullions with casements under flush relieving arches to left of doorway and one 2-light mullion window to right; first floor has similar 2-light mullion windows under continuous string course with relieving arches over; second-floor windows are 2-light mullions set below eaves. C15 diagonal buttress to south-west corner and weathered, carved lion to east gable end. Recessed doorway with flat stone hood and plank door. late C20 glazed door to west wing and two 2-light mullion windows to first floor. North front reveals the Norman origins of the manor with a round-arched mid C12 window to first floor: 2 arched lights with central column and cushion capital and outer colonnettes; 2 tiers of chevron moulding and outer nail-head moulding to arch. This window is set between large buttresses with set-offs. 2-light early C13 window to left-hand at first-floor level with trefoil-cusped heads and quatrefoil above; single-light rectangular window above and to the left lighting staircase. INTERIOR: entrance hallway has massive oak ceiling beams supporting the first-floor hall; spiral staircase with stone treads now covered with wooden planks; round-arched doorway to north wall. Drawing room to left-hand ground floor has C15 fireplace with wave-moulded architrave and broach stops to bases, panelled wooden lintel with central quatrefoil and plaster strapwork overmantel with cartouches flanked by columns. The overmantel has the initials LF/E, AF and the date 1645: this relates to Lamorock Flower, his wife and the older Mrs Flower. Mid C17 marquetry panel above doorway and large mid C12 corbel supporting ceiling on south wall. East wall to staircase and adjacent room has early C13 wall paintings (now boxed in and not visible at time of survey) with imitation masonry, a Virgin and Child and a scene with a Wheel of Fortune. First-floor room to west has the inner face of the mid C12 window with two orders of colonnettes with inner roll-moulding and outer chevron-moulding; stone chimneypiece possibly re-using mid C16 outer mouldings and base stops with initials LF and AF and the date 1637: another Lamorock Flower and his wife; moulded ceiling beam with run-off stops. HISTORICAL NOTE: Saltford Manor is a rare survival of a Norman hall, contemporary with Horton Court in nearby Gloucestershire. The latter was a prebendal house and it can be assumed that Saltford had a direct association with Keynsham Abbey. Saltford Manor House, Dovecote (qv) and Church of St Mary (qv) form a good group. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 254-5; Country Life: Bryan Little: London: 24 July:: 1958-: 178-81).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.