You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 51158  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS

IoE Number: 51158
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST PANDIONIA, THE GREEN (south side)
  ELTISLEY, SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 June 2000
Date listed: 31 August 1962
Date of last amendment: 31 August 1962
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 2659-2759ELTISLEYTHE GREEN(South Side)11/123Parish Church ofSt John the

TL 2659-2759 ELTISLEY THE GREEN (South Side) 11/123 Parish Church of St John the 31.a.62 Baptist and St Pandionia GV II* Parish Church. Nave and aisles c.1200 with north chapel added and chancel rebuilt or extended in C13, replaced in white brick c.1840. Clerestorey remodelled and tower and spire added C15. Chancel and north chapel rebuilt c.1840. Restoration 1875-9. Walls of pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings and C19 white brick. Roofs of lead and slate. South elevation: Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, plastered to second stage, with embattled parapet. Belfry window with restored Y-tracery. Octagonal spire with crocketed gablets to spire lights. Tower clock, C18, placed in tower in 1893 with weights contained in external wooden box. Nave roof with bell turret and cross finial to parapet gable; three C19 two-light clerestorey windows, two C19 three-light aisle windows. C19 porch; original south doorway with dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs with moulded caps and bases. Chancel of white brick with reset south doorway. Interior: Nave arcades of three bays with some restoration. Two-centred arches of single chamfered order with chamfered labels, circular piers with stiff-leaf and water-leaf carved capitals. C13 chancel arch of two chamfered orders with moulded labels and mask stops. Font, C13 with octagonal bowl and carved C17 pyramidal cover. Tomb recess in north chapel, C14 with moulded and crocketed label stopped with lion and woman's heads, two mutilated C13 figures, a robed figure and knight in chain mail. For other monuments and floor slabs see RCHM. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p90, mon. 1 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p337 V.C.H. Vol. V, pp55, 57

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.