You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 52687  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS

IoE Number: 52687
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  CROYDON, SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 May 2000
Date listed: 22 November 1967
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CROYDONCHURCH LANETL 34NW (West side)8/24Church of All Saints

CROYDON CHURCH LANE TL 34NW (West side) 8/24 Church of All Saints 22.11.67 GV II* Parish church. C13 nave and C14 north and south aisles. C14-C15 west tower and later C17 or early C18 chancel. Fieldstone, brick, clunch rubble and dressed clunch. Tiled roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and chancel. West tower of three stages. Parapet with main cornice and central gargoyle. Later diagonal buttressing. Newel stair turret in south west corner. Four centre arch to west window of two cinquefoil lights. Bell stage has two openings with trefoil heads in two centred arch. Nave without clerestory. South aisle probably rebuilt C14, but in origin C13. Fieldstone repaired in brick. Two cinquefoil light windows in square heads. Clunch. South doorway of two continuous moulded orders in two centred arch. South chapel, C14 origin, restored. South and East windows each of three cinquefoil lights in square head. Roof and gable end rebuilt. Three shields of arms reset in brickwork to gable end. Chancel c.1687, remodelled 1867. Fieldstone and brick with Ketton limestone dressings of C19. Interior: South arcade C13. Four bays of two chamfered orders in two centred aisles on octagonal columns with moulded capital and base. The bay at the west end was blocked and part fenestrated when the west tower was added in C15. North arcade c.1300 of four bays and two centred arches. Two chamfered orders with broach stops on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The roof of the south chapel has been rebuilt. In the east wall are two C14 niches with foiled heads flanking a three-light window. There is no chancel arch. Font: C12 bowl of limestone. Rectangular bowl with double rolls at the angles and plain bands at top and bottom. RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) VCH: Cambs vol V

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.