You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 52710  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 52710
Location: 25 CHURCH STREET (north side)
  GAMLINGAY, SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 02 March 2007
Date listed: 22 November 1967
Date of last amendment: 03 September 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GAMLINGAYCHURCH STREETTL 2352 (North side)11/46The Cock Inn

GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET TL 2352 (North side) 11/46 The Cock Inn 22.11.67 (formerly listed as No 25) GV II* Inn. Late C16 or early C17 extended at the rear. Timber framed, plaster rendered. Tiled roof with ridge stack of late C17 or early C18 having recesses in each face. Plan of baffle entry main range with contemporary crosswing at west end. Main range of one storey and attic. Plaster walls have border of scallop decoration to eaves and round some openings. (Probably c.1712 - see no 36 Church Street). Three C19 dormers with reset lions head masks to gables. Two hung sashes on either side of baffle entry doorway. One small original closet window with leaded cames above the doorway. East gable has scallop border carried round and interrupted by a lead roundel with trade signs including a pike, flask, corkscrew, glass, stock for brick making etc. West crosswing of two storeys with jettied first floor carried on scroll brackets enriched with acanthus foliage. One window to each storey including a twelve pane hung sash on ground floor. Club room added to north end of crosswing. Interior: arch braced tie beams, rebuilt inglenook in main range. Light framing to ceiling suggesting an insertion or rebuild or possibly a later date. There has been an inn on the site since 1435. It is likely that the present inn was built by John Russell in late C16. By his will of 1583 he left gifts to the poor of Waresley and Gamlingay and directed that a memorial should be erected on the house end of the inn. This may be the emblems at the east end, although they have a closer similarity with the C18 plasterwork at No 36 Church Street RCHM: West Cabs mon (24) VCH: Cambs Vol V p70 C Brown: Mss Notes

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.