You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 52755  

Print Page



© Mr Stan Saunders LRPS

IoE Number: 52755
Location: BAPTIST CHAPEL, STOCKS LANE (west side)
  GAMLINGAY, SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Stan Saunders LRPS
Date Photographed: 17 February 2001
Date listed: 22 November 1967
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GAMLINGAYSTOCKS LANETL 25SW (West side)3/92

GAMLINGAY STOCKS LANE TL 25SW (West side) 3/92 22.11.67 Baptist Chapel GV II Non conformist chapel. Founded late C17-early C18 rebuilt 1840, extended 1858 and restored 1881. Red brick and hipped, slate roof with moulded wood eaves cornice. Two stage east front, mainly C18, except for porch. Two hung sashes with glazing bars in semi-circular headed arches. The sills of the windows cut into the plat band and suggest that the windows may have been enlarged. Two horizontal, six pane hung sashes at ground stage. Modern two stage porch with stone inscribed "Church formed 1670". North side in three window bays. Sixteen pane hung sashes with early glass. At the west end pair of vestries with lecture room over. 1858. Interior C19 gallery, seating and pulpit with double staircase. Founded under auspices of John Bunyan. RCHM: West Cambs mon (2) CF Steel: Non conformist Chapels and Meeting-houses (RCHM) VCH: Cambs vol 5 p85 Pevsner: Buildings of England p391.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.