You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 52794  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS

IoE Number: 52794
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES, POTTON ROAD (north side)
  TADLOW, SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Jenkins LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 May 2000
Date listed: 22 November 1967
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TADLOWPOTTON ROADTL 24NE (North side)7/76Church of St Giles

TADLOW POTTON ROAD TL 24NE (North side) 7/76 Church of St Giles 22.11.67 II* Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, and circa 1400 west tower. Restored c,1860 under supervision of W Butterfield. Fieldstone, clunch rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, chancel and north vestry and south porch. West tower of three stages. West doorway in pointed arch with continuous moulding and square head having dagger tracery to the spandrels. West window of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch with label. Bell stage has two similar openings in four centred arch. Aisleless nave with south wall refenestrated, c14-C15, three windows of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in depressed arch. South doorway C13. Two centred arch of three moulded orders the outer two carried on nook shafts with restored capital and base. Chancel has two lancets, restored C19, in north and south walls and rebuilt east wall with three C19 graduated lancets. There are two C13 lancets in north wall of nave. Interior: West tower added on a corrected orientation. Two centred tower arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital and base. Deep splays to rear arches of C13 lancets in north wall. Roof rebuilt C19. Chancel has been remodelled internally in c.1860 and has polychrome tiles and painted boarded ceiling. Font by Butterfield. Grey marble octagonal bowl with panelled sides having raised gables in relief and intaglio quatrefoil of white marble. Broach stopped octagonal stem. RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p469

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.