You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 55745  

Print Page



© Dr John L. Wishlade

IoE Number: 55745
Location: CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP, CHESTER ROAD (north side)
  KELSALL, CHESTER, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr John L. Wishlade
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 08 November 1985
Date of last amendment: 08 November 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 56 NWKELSALL C.P.CHESTER ROAD(North Side)3/41Church of St Phillip.

SJ 56 NW KELSALL C.P. CHESTER ROAD (North Side) 3/41 Church of St Phillip. II Church: 1860 by T Bower of Nantwich. Rockfaced buff sandstone, Welsh slate roof, red tile ridge. Decorated style. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, south porch, vestry and sanctus bellcote. Gabled south porch has heavy 2-centred arched entrance on stout shafts with undressed capitals. Similar doorcase behind on pairs of shafts contains pair of doors with ornate hinges. Bays of nave and chancel divided by buttresses; nave has 2-light windows with alternate quatrefoil and trefoil plate tracery. Chancel has pairs of lancets with trefoil heads. 3-light east window with sexfoils and a quatrefoil has a label mould with plain rectangular stops. Similar 4-light west window. On north side, vestry has hexagonal end with pyramidal roof. Interior: tall and plain in ashlar. Ovolo-moulded rebated chancel arch, the outer part on shaft to floor, the inner part on a stout shaft sprung from a corbel at mid-height. Both have undressed capitals. Plain font is a quatrefoil in section on 4 short shafts.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.