You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56661  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 56661
Location: CREWE HALL,
  CREWE GREEN, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 02 August 1999
Date listed: 20 January 1975
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1975
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SH 75 SWCREWE C.P.CREWE HALL PARK5/17Crewe Hall20.1.75GVI

SH 75 SW CREWE C.P. CREWE HALL PARK 5/17 Crewe Hall 20.1.75 GV I Jacobean Mansion, 1615-36 for Sir Randolph Crewe (Pevsner). West service wing added circa 1800, for the first Baron Crewe. 1830-1840 restoration by Blore for the third Baron. Gutted by fire in 1866 and rebuilt by E M Barry 1870. Further alteration by Thomas Bower in 1896. Red brick with stone dressings, lead and slate roof. 2 storeys, basement and attic. The south entrance front consists of 2 facades of 7 bays of. which the western steps forward of the line of the eastern by 2 bays. There is a further single storey built against the west return. The walls of the original Jacobean east wing survived the fire; these are fronted by a wide paved area and balustrade with lions on alternate piers and griffin and lion flanking steps to main entrance. The entrance bay is of stone, set forward, and has semicircular arched opening flanked by fluted Ionic columns on strap decorated bases. Above there are tapering Jacobean pilasters, flanking a 3-light window, and supporting a full width strapwork cartouche. The stone dressed window above supports the balustraded parapet and achievement cresting. The porch is flanked by pairs of single mullion double transome stone dressed windows in diaper work walls and the bays at the east corner and west wing are canted 2 storey bay windows with shaped gables to the attic windows above and behind the balustraded eaves parapet. The west wing is plainer with a single two storey canted bay window, surmounted by shaped gable, flanked by pairs of single mullion double transome windows and a first floor oriel midway between similar windows in the west bays. All quoins have flush stone dressing and there is a full length cornice at first floor window head level and full length eaves parapet. The east end has four 2-storey canted bay windows with shaped gables to the end bays. The north garden front is the reverse of the facade with the east wing forward. This has an elaborate 2-storey segmental bay, which is the chapel apse at ground floor level, with solid cartouche decorated stone panels below cusp headed stained glass lights. The rear is dominated by a square stone dressed brick tower with ogee roof and corner chimney pinnacles which rises two storeys above the main roof of the Hall. The west wing has an arcaded loggia with blind arcaded rear wall, vaulted ceiling and three Tuscan columns. Interior: The interest is in the east wing. The South West room, the "Oak Parlour" has the only original Jacobean chimney piece with "Green Men" and similar carving of the period; this contrasts unfavourably with the high quality of workmanship achieved under the direction of the C19 architects. The Entrance Hall has an elaborate marble chimney piece with Tuscan columns, pediment and the Crewe Arms. There are oak panelled walls and a timber panelled ceiling. A triple archivalt plastered arcade, flanked and divided by marble Tuscan columns and fluted pilasters, leads to a central hall, with panelling and columns to four sides forming a cloister arrangement with mezzanine level timber balustraded gallery over. Columns at gallery level support hammer beams and elaborate arched trusses supporting a lantern light. The chapel is north of the central hall. The apsidal chancel is of marble with miniature Corinthian arcade with alabaster heads of prophets and Evangelists. There is an elaborate carved altar rail with opening flanked by angels, benches with carved backs and poppyheads and wall panelling with bronze medallions of biblical characters in each panel. The entrance to the ornate choir gallery is from the mezzanine gallery of the central hall. The open newel staircase, east of the central hall, is approached by short flights from east and west and has fluted strings, strapwork, carved animal newel caps and other high quality carving. The carved parlour has oak panelling and an alabaster chimney piece with "Time rewarding Industry and punishing sloth" surmounted by a broken pediment with the head of Sir Randolph Crewe. The room has a dentil and egg and dart cornice and deep plaster frieze with figures representing the elements, graces and virtues. The upper floor has a vaulted gallery round the central hall with much elaborate plasterwork. The Library has Corinthian columns flanking the chimney piece, scenes in the frieze and a high quality ceiling with pendants. The Drawing Room has panelling, Corinthian pilasters, marble chimney piece, doors with lavish cases and a ceiling with strapwork and pendants. The Long Gallery has Corinthian pilasters and a modillion cornice. All rooms in the east wing generally have chimney pieces, doors and door cases of a high standard and ceilings based on strapwork, but they all have their own individual character. A fine house splendidly recast in C19.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.