You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56662  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 56662
Location: FORMER STABLES AT CREWE HALL, CREWE HALL PARK
  CREWE GREEN, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 03 August 1999
Date listed: 20 January 1975
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 75 SWCREWE C.P.CREWE HALL PARK5/18Former Stables at CreweHall20.1.75

SJ 75 SW CREWE C.P. CREWE HALL PARK 5/18 Former Stables at Crewe Hall 20.1.75 GV II* Former stables, circa 1636, with tower circa 1837 by Blore. Now laboratories and offices. Red brick with tiled roof. Built in quadrangle form with buildings around four sides of a rectangular yard. Main elevation, east, is of 9 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Central semi-circular arched opening of stone, with springers and keystone, flanked by pilasters with recessed panel and 2-light stone dressed mullion windows. The tower, which rises above the opening, is flanked by a strapwork blind arcade and passes through the eaves cornice and parapet. At this level there is a 2-light window with vertical arrow slots above. There are clock faces in stone surrounds, bell chamber with arched openings and ogee cupola with corner finials. The end bays have stone dressed quoins. The second, fourth, sixth and eighth-bays are set forward and have 3 finial shaped gables. Mainly three-light mullion windows but two-light attic windows in the shaped gables. A brick modillion course supports the stone cornice and brick openwork parapet with stone coping. The north and south gables of the facade are shaped, there are shaped tiles in the roof and an ornate crested ridge. The north and south elevations have large semi-circular arched rusticated carriage openings with springers and horse head keystones under shaped gables. The walls in the carriageway tunnels have bands of blue bricks. The eaves treatment is a brick modillion course, stone cornice, and brick parapet with stone coping to match the east elevation. The west building has twelve segmental arched openings, with keystones, with access from the enclosed yard. At roof level the buildings are built as four gabled blocks. There are chimneys to the former living quarters in the buildings with high-standing octagonal flues linked at cap level. Interior: Altered.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.