You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56842  

Print Page



© Dr R. A. Brierley

IoE Number: 56842
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GOLDFORD LANE
  BICKERTON, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr R. A. Brierley
Date Photographed: 06 March 2006
Date listed: 12 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 12 January 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 55 SWBICKERTONGOLDFORD LANE4/3Church of the Holy

SJ 55 SW BICKERTON GOLDFORD LANE 4/3 Church of the Holy Trinity 12.1.67 II Built as chapel, within Malpas Parish, 1839 by Edmund Sharpe became parish church in 1869. The chancel dates from 1875 and the baptistry replaced the west porch in 1911 (dates inside church). Red sandstone with slate roof, in Lancet style. Single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, small octagonal west baptistry. Triple lancet window to chancel (east) gable end, three separate stepped lancets to nave (west) gable end and single lancets elsewhere, all have stained glass and labels above. The vestry projection (north) and organ chamber (south) give the church a cruciform plan. Weathered plinth, clasping buttresses to chancel, buttresses between nave windows and angle buttresses to nave corners. Nave entrance (west) has pitch pine door with Gothic head and ornamental strap hinges which is fronted by a timber and leaded-light porch which is framed off a low stone wall. The apex of the porch is timbered and boarded and has a pitched roof. Gables have copings with kneelers and the west gable and single bell-cote. The baptistry has a pyramidal roof with cross finial. Interior: Oak panelled reredos. Communion rail on triple heavily scrolled metal supports. Oak memorial screen, with head tracery, surmounted by oak cross has the inscription "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends". The oak pulpit is integral with the screen. The Oak organ case is inscribed "Praise ye the Lord". There is a pair of oak vestry doors with tracery heads and inscription, an oak lectern and alabaster memorials to former vicars on the nave walls. An octagonal stone font with wood and metal cover is inscribed "one Lord-one Faith-one Baptism-one God and Father-one body-one spirit-one hope". The Baptistry has oak panelling to window sill level. Chancel and Nave have scissor-braced rafters.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.