You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56843  

Print Page



© Dr R. A. Brierley

IoE Number: 56843
Location: SANDSTONE CHIMNEY TO FORMER COPPER MINE, SANDY LANE
  BICKERTON, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr R. A. Brierley
Date Photographed: 10 February 2006
Date listed: 07 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 07 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 55 SWBICKERTONSANDY LANE4/4Sandstone chimney toformer Copper Mine

SJ 55 SW BICKERTON SANDY LANE 4/4 Sandstone chimney to former Copper Mine 7.3.77 II Mine engine house chimney, early C19. Red hammer dressed sandstone. Neatly coursed masonry, square on plan. Built in two stages, the lower one vertical, terminating in a projecting weathered string course, and the upper section, tapering and finishing with a slightly projecting narrow band and heavy terminal cresting. The chimney is all that remains of the building which housed the pumping engine to drain the copper mine owned by the Egerton family of Oulton. The mine is said to have already been working in 1697 - Report by Edmund Spargo, "The Cheshire Copper Mines, Bickerton Hill, Cheshire". Spargo and Sons 1906.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.