You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56892  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 56892
Location: THE CHAPEL NORTH GATES,
  CHOLMONDELEY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 30 March 2002
Date listed: 20 May 1985
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 55 SWCHOLMONDELEY C.P.CHOLMONDELEY PARK1/22The Chapel North Gates

SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK 1/22 The Chapel North Gates GV II Gates to the Cholmondeley Chapel enclosure, 1722 by Robert Bakewell (Jackson-Stops). Formerly fixed as part of the fencing to the Old Hall in 1722 but removed and adapted for use as gates in their new position in 1829, following demolition of the Old Hall in 1801. Wrought iron with stone end piers. One pair of high gates flanked by lower wickets. These are all hung from built-up, square, open-work, wrought iron piers based on volutes, leaves, bobbins and sun motifs. The metal plate ogee caps have ball and leaf finials with terminal twists. The main and wicket gates are of similar design, being of square bars with spear and leaf cresting and two rows of water lilies hanging as pendants below the top rails. An infilling of volutes and leaves is supported by the bottom rails. The wickets close to square stop-chamfered stone piers with four-way weathered caps. Gervase Jackson-Stops in Country Life 19 July 1984.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.