You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56894  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 56894
Location: THE OLD HALL,
  CHOLMONDELEY, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 12 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 12 January 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

cSJ 55 SWCHOLMONDELEY C.P.CHOLMONDELEY PARK1/24The Old Hall

c SJ 55 SW CHOLMONDELEY C.P. CHOLMONDELEY PARK 1/24 The Old Hall 12.1.67 GV II House, circa 1707 by William Smith of Warwick for the first Earl of Cholmondeley. The Hall incorporated an Elizabethan building but in 1801 the structure was reduced to the size of the present dwelling. Whitened brick with slate roof. 2 storeys 3 bays with one-bay, lower, 2-storey wing to east. The central entrance is a rebated 6-panel door in a moulded doorcase with plain rectangular overlight. The opening is flanked by engaged Roman Doric columns, without bases, which support a gabled, slated, hood by means of brackets fixed to the column faces. Projecting brick bands at first floor and eaves levels. Large recessed sashes with glazing bars, stone sills and segmental stone heads at ground floor and with stone eared architraves and flat heads at first floor. The opening over the entrance is filled. The east wing has two-light flush casements with stone sills and segmental heads. The west gable has a filled lunette above a partly filled opening with eared architraves. The north front has 2-bay gable set forward with pairs of sashes under segmental heads, and sashes with eared architraves at first floor . Stone band at first floor and brick eaves band with filled lunette in the gable. Interior: Panelled window shutters and door linings. Six-panel doors, some with fielded panels. The Old Hall at its full extent is illustrated in Country Life 19 July 1973

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.