© Mr Howard W Hilton ARPS
POOLE METHODIST CHAPEL,
POOLE, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Mr Howard W Hilton ARPS
05 March 2001
04 July 1986
Date of last amendment:
04 July 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ 65 NW
1/81 Poole Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1834 (stone tablet over door). Red brick
in Flemish Bond with hipped slate roof. Single storey, 3 bays.
Panelled door with bead and flush panels and upper section picked out
in planted beads to form Gothic motif with "Y" tracery. Heavy moulded
frame with overlight of seven radiating daggers, picked out in beads
on a solid board infilling. Semi-circular bullnosed label surmounted
by lamp fitting and elliptical tablet inscribed Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel, with the date. Two-light Gothic timber windows with "Y"
tracery and bullnosed brick label above. Eaves dentil course of
bullnosed bricks. Lead hips.
Interior: Pitch pine panelled reading desk flanked by three steps each
side. Three central panels set forward and decorated with beads, one
panel wide return and single flanking panels. Ovolo moulded plinth
and ogee cornice. The stairs have turned balusters and newels. The
three-panel reredos has a wide centre panel with semi-circular head
and garlands separated from the narrower side panels by reeded
muntins. The narrower panels also have garland decoration, flat tops
with rose features and a beaded cornice. Rosewood communion table
with twisted legs fronted by plain communion rail with two returns,
square balusters and end posts. Rosewood treadle organ with panelled
ends and reeded columns with round candlestick support discs. Plain
board filled softwood benches. Elliptical wall cleats supporting cast
iron strapwork backplates to the former light fittings at the front
and rear of the chapel.