You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 56999  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 56999
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 04 July 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 July 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


STOKE C.P. MILL POOL LANE SJ 65 NW 1/88 Stoke Cottage - - II Cottage, early C18, with large 1856 addition (date on porch) at the rear (north-west). Brickwork with coloured surface treatment; slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. The rear addition forms a 2-span roof and a 3-bay wing (north-east) completes an "L" shaped plan. The cottage entrance is a pair of three-quarter-glazed doors, with diminished stiles and bead and flush lower panels, in a twin pilaster beaded door case. A flat, lead-covered, porch is supported by two slender timber columns. The porch is flanked by ogee bow windows containing two-light Gothick casements with intersecting tracery. There are similar windows at first floor level. Wide plastered soffites, with large spandrel boxed ends, and barge boards. Gable end stacks with diagonally set flues. The gables of the 1856 addition project beyond the cottage at both ends and the east gable has a projecting porch with Tudor arches south and east. The porch contains a 9-panel bolection moulded door with rectangular overlight. A rectangular stone tablet above the east opening of the porch has the initials FFC and the date. The windows in the east gable and rear wing are mainly sashes with stone sills, deep lintels with stepped labels, single vertical glazing bars and cusped tracery to heads. The west gable has two "Y" tracery windows and a large canted bay. Interior: The entrance hall has a plaster modillion cornice with two lines of egg and dart moulding. The cottage ceilings are low with cased beams. There are 6-panel doors in the cottage area, 4-panel and ledged and battened doors in the later additions. The staircase has cut and bracketed string, curtail step, square balusters and wreathed handrail. There is an original C19 cast iron grate in the kitchen.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.