You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 57086  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 57086
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 10 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 10 June 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BUERTON C.P.(Off) WOODHOUSE LANESJ 64 SE7/8Highfields10.6.52

BUERTON C.P. (Off) WOODHOUSE LANE SJ 64 SE 7/8 Highfields 10.6.52 - I Small country house. Dated 1615. Built for the Dodds family and added to in 1750 by William Baker and again in 1897. Timber framed on an ashlar plinth with rendered infill and a plain tiled roof. Two storeys with attic. Entrance front: five bays symmetrically disposed with projecting gabled wings to either side. Both floors have close-studded walling with a middle rail. The first floor is jettied as are the gables of the two lateral wings. Above the 3 recessed central bays is a wide gable, probably added in 1750. Almost all of the windows are of C19 date and have ovolo-moulded projecting surrounds. Central gabled porch to the ground floor of C19 date with a 4-centered arch, the lintel of which is inscribed WD 1615. To either side are cusped panels above which are quatrefoils. Two-light C19 windows to either side and three to the first floor with a 3-light similar window to the centre of the C18 gable. The lateral wings have 4-light windows to the ground floor with 3-light windows to the first floor and attic. The left hand side of the right hand gable has a 3-light C17 mullioned window at first floor level. To the left of this front and slightly recessed is a wing of 1897 which has similar close studding with middle rail and a doorway at right with single-light windows to either side and to the left, but in a slightly projecting wing a 4-light ground floor and a 3-light first floor window with a 3-light window to the attic. To either side of the original house are massive brick chimney breasts with stacks of C19 Rhuabon brick, the left hand one largely masked by the addition of 1897. Right hand side: the projecting chimney breast is at left of centre. To the left of it is blank close-studded walling with middle rail to both floors, jettied first floor having an ovolo moulded bressumer. To the right of the firebreast and projecting to a level flush with it is a small gabled wing added in 1750 by William Baker, also of close studding with a middle rail and having a 3-light ground floor window and a canted oriel window to the first floor with richly moulded underside. To the right again is close-studded walling with middle rails having one ground floor C17 3-light window at left with ovolo-moulded mullions. The rear has a large central projecting wing of 1750 by William Baker with a C19 canted bay window to the ground floor with 3 central lights and 2 to each of the angles and coving above. First floor window above of 4 lights. To either side are gabled wings that at left having a 2-light ground floor and 4-light first floor window and a 2-light casement to the attic. The right hand wing has a single light ground floor window with 4-light first floor and 2-light attic windows. To the right again is the addition of 1897 which has a prominent projecting gabled wing at right with French windows and a 2-light window to the ground floor and 3-light casements to the first floor and attic. Interior: The entrance hall has C19 dado panelling and a fireplace of C18 or C19 date including pieces of C17 panelling brought from elsewhere. The room to the right of this is fully panelled, mainly in the C19 but including some C17 run-through panelling. Oak fire surround with terms to either side of the fire with long hair and moustaches. To the centre of the lintel is a projecting keystone with a grotesque mask in high relief. To either side in rectangular frames are the initials WD and the date 1615 at left and right respectively. The overmantel has three niches flanked by miniature Corinthian columns on diamond rusticated plinths. The niches contain figures with crossed arms and between these are panels of strapwork with cherubs heads to the centre. Ovolo moulded and stopped beams to the ceiling. Two staircases, both of late C17 form, that at right of the entrance hall has double entwined spiral balusters with square newel posts and a moulded balustrade. The staircase at left of the entrance hall is of 2 close-string flights with a ½-landing and a 1/4 turn to the top of the lower flight. It was originally of 2 open-string flights set at right angles. It has barley sugar twist balusters with newels formed of 4 such balusters, a moulded and ramped handrail with square caps, and a cut string. The old kitchen has an ingle nook fireplace with C19 panelling and a C19 painted ashlar fireplace with a projecting hood decorated with bands of fishscale ornament and supported on large carved volutes. The drawing room of 1760 has a fireplace and overmantel bought from elsewhere and inscribed 16 JOHN 74 GWYNN Ovolo moulded ceiling beams to the upstairs rooms and the C17 fireplace which appears to have been brought from elsewhere as well as a C19 pine chimneypiece commemorating the visit of the Duke of Wellington to the vicarage at Audlem and brought from there in the C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.