© Dr John L. Wishlade
CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, NORLEY ROAD (north side)
NORLEY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE
Dr John L. Wishlade
30 June 2001
17 April 1986
Date of last amendment:
17 April 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NORLEY C.P. NORLEY ROAD
SJ 57 SE
4/20 Church of St.John
Church: 1878-9 by J.L.Pearson. Tooled ashlar red sandstone, red tile
roof. Later C13 style, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and
vestry, central tower and north transepts. Gabled buttressed porch at
left end of south side approached by 11 steps. 2-centred
double-chamfered arched entrance on colonnettes. 2-light nave windows
with quatrefoil plate tracery. Broad, sturdy tower divides nave and
chancel and has a taller similar window in lowest stage, clock in the
middle; the top stage has pairs of moulded 2-light louvred bell
openings with line of corbelling above. Delicate band of ball
ornament carries plain parapet with triangular coping. Lancets in the
chancel, and the east end has a trio of tall windows with Y-tracery
with a pair of blocked quatrefoils above.
Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle whose columns become more ornate
towards the sanctuary, from round to multi-shafted. Splayed reveals
to aisle and nave windows, and wagon roof to nave. Crossing arches on
clusters of colonnettes. Chancel has simple sedilia and oak reredos.
Willis organ in the transept. The square font with quatrefoils
probably comes from the earlier church of 1835.