You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 57447  

Print Page



© Dr John L. Wishlade

IoE Number: 57447
Location: MONUMENT TO WOODHOUSE FAMILY, 15 METRES NORTH EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NORLEY ROAD (north side)
  NORLEY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Dr John L. Wishlade
Date Photographed: 01 November 2001
Date listed: 17 April 1986
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORLEY C.P.NORLEY ROADSJ 57 SE(North Side)4/21Monument to Woodhousefamily, 15m north-east

NORLEY C.P. NORLEY ROAD SJ 57 SE (North Side) 4/21 Monument to Woodhouse family, 15m north-east end of Church of St.John GV II Monument and cenotaph: earliest date 1840. Ashlar limestone on red sandstone base with marble plaques. Large monument standing c.3m high. Moulded plinth carries plain rectangular body with sunken marble plaques on each face (one missing). These have inscriptions to members of the Woodhouse family including on the west to William, who died whilst visiting his estates in Marsala, Sicily. Body has a moulded cornice carrying a flat capstone with ornate consoles on the long sides. This carries a sarcophagus on claw feel; with plain flaring sides. A weathered and stepped lid has raised palmettes on the corners. Samuel Woodhouse of Norley Hall gave the land for the original church.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.