You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 62523  

Print Page



© Mr GW Tanner ARPS

IoE Number: 62523
Location: SIGNAL GUN TOWER, THE GARRISON
  ST MARYS, ISLES OF SCILLY, ISLES OF SCILLY
Photographer: Mr GW Tanner ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 June 2002
Date listed: 14 December 1992
Date of last amendment: 14 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST. MARY'SSV81SETHE GARRISON, Hugh Town1358-0/3/84Signal Gun Tower

ST. MARY'S SV81SE THE GARRISON, Hugh Town 1358-0/3/84 Signal Gun Tower II Windmill. C17, converted into gun tower in 1803 to the designs of Major Daniel Lyman. Roughly coursed granite rubble. Circular plan. 3 storeys. Granite lintels over doorway and window openings; plat and parapet bands; crenellated parapet. One of 3 gun towers built on St. Mary's by Lyman. It was designed to house 8-10 omen and was intended to mount a 32-pounder carronade at the top. Shown as a windmill on plan of Hugh Fort by Colonel Christian Lilley, dated 1713. (Saunders A: Fortress Britain: Liphook: 1989-: 152).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.