You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 62554  

Print Page



© Mr Bernard Stradling LRPS

IoE Number: 62554
Location: THE BLOCKHOUSE,
  TRESCO, ISLES OF SCILLY, ISLES OF SCILLY
Photographer: Mr Bernard Stradling LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 September 2001
Date listed: 14 December 1992
Date of last amendment: 14 December 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TRESCOSV81NEThe Blockhouse1358-0/1/119

TRESCO SV81NE The Blockhouse 1358-0/1/119 II Blockhouse. Probably 1548-52. Roughly coursed granite rubble. Rectangular plan. Top of the platform is enclosed by walls, originally surmounted by a parapet with embrasures. Stairs to east. Winder stairs to original lean-to in south-east corner, with plain granite open fireplace; remains of later room constructed in south-east corner of platform. Covers Old Grimsby Harbour, and is probably one of the blockhouses built on Tresco under Sir Francis Fleming, and later John Kiligrew, captain of Pendennis Castle, between 1548 and 1552. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 6; B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 20).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.