You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 72413  

Print Page



© Mr Stephen Dunn

IoE Number: 72413
Location: HALTCLIFFE HALL AND ADJOINING BYRE/BARN,
  CALDBECK, ALLERDALE, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Stephen Dunn
Date Photographed: 08 September 2002
Date listed: 03 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 03 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 33 NECALDBECKMillhouse14/105Haltcliffe Hall andadjoining byre/barn

NY 33 NE CALDBECK Millhouse 14/105 Haltcliffe Hall and adjoining byre/barn II Farmhouse. Datestone inscribed T.D.B. BUILT THE HALL 1653 (Thomas & Dorothy Bewley) now removed; further inscription over window G.B. E.B. 1687 (George & Elizabeth Bewley) and over entrance G.B. E.B. 1690, now covered; with C19 alterations. Roughcast over mixed limestone and sandstone rubble on large projecting plinth stones. Welsh slate roof with bottom courses of graduated greenslate; stone and brick ridge chimney stacks. 2½ storeys, 4 bays with right-angled kitchen/byre extension to front right and 2-storey, 2-bay barn/byre to left under common roof. Ground floor 3-light stone-mullioned window and other smaller sash windows in original chamfered surrounds with stone mullions removed. Small chamfered-surround attic window. Former entrance to right has chamfered Tudor-arched surround, now an internal feature covered by extension. Extension has brick front wall with C20 door and casement window. Byre to right has half-plank door with loft above. Rear wall of extension has blocked 2-light stone-mullioned window. Rear of house has small chamfered-surround windows on 3 levels. Interior has large inglenook with moulded firebeam and hood with hooks. Beamed ceilings on both floors. Large inglenook in kitchen extension has chamfered firebeam with hood projecting into the room above. Byre/barn to left has through segmental archway, partly blocked to rear to form byre. Loft door above has chamfered surround under Tudor arch; window left is partly blocked 3-light and stone-mullioned. Plank door to left and blocked stone- mullioned window with loft door over. Below the eaves are 2 rows of pigeon holes. On the site of an earlier builing which was purchased by Thomas Bewley in 1641. Remained in that family until 1758 when sold to Joshua Lucock, see Sir Edmund Thomas Bewley, The Bewleys of Cumberland, 1902 pp40-1, 93 and 97. Further adjoining barns are not of interest.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.