You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 72486  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 72486
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 11 April 1967
Date of last amendment: 03 January 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 34 SESEBERGHAMWarnell9/178Warnell Hall(formerly listed as11.4.67Warne11's Hall)

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Warnell 9/178 Warnell Hall (formerly listed as 11.4.67 Warne11's Hall) G.V. II* Fortified house now farmhouse. Early or mid C16 incorporating part of a C14 tower with alterations, dated and inscribed over entrance T & M D 1683 with Denton coat-of-arms. Large blocks of mixed calciferous and pink sandstone with graduated greenslate roof and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays with stair projection to rear making shape; originally a fortified courtyard plan. Top-glazed panelled door in alternate-block surround under cornice and voussoir frieze. 2-light stone-mullioned windows under cornices are of 1683. Confined fenestration is explained by adjoining courtyard range, that to right listed separately, but that to left now demolished, leaving blank wall. Rear 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds could be C16. Wall at left rear has earlier blocked window and is said to contain the remains of a newel staircase of the C14 tower, now demolished. Further single-storey rear extension is probably early C18. Interior has large segmental-arched stone fireplace in principal ground-floor room. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted balusters and broad moulded handrail. House of Dacre family which was exchanged with the Denton family for Denton Hall in 1507; sold by the Dentons to Sir James Lowther in 1774 and still in the possession of that family. See W.T. McIntyre, Warnell Hall, Cumberland News, 4 August 1934; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xx, p238.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.