© Mr Anthony Chapman
LUNDY NORTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING HOUSE AND ACCOMODATION BLOCK,
LUNDY, TORRIDGE, DEVON
Mr Anthony Chapman
04 May 2005
07 October 1991
Date of last amendment:
07 October 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS14NW Lundy North Lighthouse incl Engine
1938-0/1/2 House and Accomm block
Lighthouse. 1897 for Trinity House. Granite rendered and
blocked out. Flat roofs behind parapets. Circular light
cover connected by built-in passages to single storey square
engine house at north (seaward) end and rectangular
accommodation block at north end on higher ground level.
Exterior: Squat circular lighthouse tower, tapered and with
large moulded cornice with iron balustrade and large lantern
with lattice glazing and dome. Small rectangular windows
with thick projecting lintels and sills and small tablet
bearing Trinity House arms on south side. The doorway is in
the built-in passageway on south side which ramps up to
single storey accommodation block at higher level with
stepped cornice and blocking course which continues around
porch at south end. On the opposite, north side a single
storey square engine house with similar parapet and
semi-circular bay on north end on which a late C20 extension
has been built.
Interior not inspected.
Note: The North and Lundy South Lighthouse (qv) were built
when the Old Lighthouse (qv) was abandoned in 1897, because
it was often obscured by fog, being so high above sea level:
The North Lighthouse stands only 165ft above high water and
cost #45,000 to build. It has been unmanned since 1978 and
is controlled from the South Lighthouse. (Lighthouses, Their
Architecture, History & Archaeology:D B Hague and R Christie;
Lundy:A and M Langham).