You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 91979  

Print Page



© Mr Anthony Chapman

IoE Number: 91979
Location: LUNDY SOUTH LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING ENGINE HOUSE AND ACCOMODATION BLOCK,
  LUNDY, TORRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Anthony Chapman
Date Photographed: 03 May 2005
Date listed: 07 October 1991
Date of last amendment: 07 October 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LUNDYSS14SWLundy South Lighthouse incl. Engine1938-0/2/3House and Accom block.

LUNDY SS14SW Lundy South Lighthouse incl. Engine 1938-0/2/3 House and Accom block. II Lighthouse. 1897 for Trinity House. Granite, rendered and blocked out. Flat roof behind parapets. Circular tower with single storey square engine room attached on south east side and covered passage on north west side leading to rectangular plan single storey accommodation block on higher ground level. Exterior: Squat slight tapered round tower with small windows and large cornice with cast-iron balustrade and large lattice-glazed lantern with weathervane on tope of cylindrical ventilator. Attached to the south east side of the tower is the later single storey engine room. On the north west side a covered passage ramps up to the accommodation block on higher ground level. The passage and accommodation block have stepped cornice and blocking course concealing flat roof. Sash windows with glazing bars and plank doors. Interior: not inspected. Note: The South and Lundy North Lighthouses (qv) were built when the Old Lighthouse (qv) was abandoned in 1897, because it was often obscured by fog, being so high above sea level. The 52ft tower stands only 175ft above sea level. Some of the equipment from the Old Lighthouse was dismantled and reused in the South Lighthouse, but it was all replaced in 1962. (Lighthouses, Their Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R. Christie; Lundy:A and M Langham).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.