You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 91982  

Print Page



© Mr Anthony Chapman

IoE Number: 91982
Location: MILLCOMBE HOUSE,
  LUNDY, TORRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Anthony Chapman
Date Photographed: 04 May 2005
Date listed: 07 October 1991
Date of last amendment: 07 October 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LUNDYSS14SWMillcombe House1938-0/2/6II

LUNDY SS14SW Millcombe House 1938-0/2/6 II House. Built in 1836 for and possibly designed by William Hudson Heaven, the owners of the island. Stone, rendered and blocked out. Lead roof behind parapet, with central valley to collect rainwater. Rendered axial stacks with square yellow clay pots. Double depth plan with narrower service block at the back. 3 rooms at the front; the central entrance hall with a staircase behind, is flanked by the drawing room on left and dining room on right. The kitchen is behind the dining room and other service rooms to the left are behind the drawing room and stairs. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay,south east front, the centre 3 bays break forward with pediment; band below parapet. Central doorway, double recessed, with rectangular overlight with diamond and margin panes, glazed and flush panel double doors and shallow pediment on console brackets; narrow flanking windows with margin glazing bars and similar above, but with blind central window. Left and right of front set back and with double recessed windows with C20 16-pane sashes (ground flow right original sash). Similar sashes on left and right sides but mostly blind on first floor. Similar 1:3:1 bay rear elevation without pediment. Interior: Original joinery intact including hall doorways with tracered fanlights, panelled doors, stick baluster and column newel staircase behind hall. Marble chimneypieces, panelled internal window shutters. Front right hand room has moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Note: William Hunt Heaven bought the island in 1834 for 9,870. (Lundy:A and M Langham:PP 66, 67).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.