You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 197930  

Print Page

© Mr James Brown

IoE Number: 197930
Photographer: Mr James Brown
Date Photographed: 03 March 2005
Date listed: 11 January 1980
Date of last amendment: 11 January 1980
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SUTTON BRIDGERIVER NENETF 42 SE5/84Cross Keys Bridge(formerly includingHydraulic Engine

SUTTON BRIDGE RIVER NENE TF 42 SE 5/84 Cross Keys Bridge (formerly including Hydraulic Engine House) 11/1/80 G.V. II* Road and rail hydraulic swing bridge, now road bridge. Opened 1897, erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Steel, iron and wood. The-swing span has 3 parallel bowstring braced girders carried on a pivot pier. There are 2 fixed spans of steel plate girders at the east end. Bridge topped with wooden podium surmounted by hexgonal wood and glazed viewing chamber. Plaque to north west inscribed 'Made and erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby and London 1897. Hydraulic machinery by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. Ltd. Steel for girders made by the Staffordshire Steel Co., Bilston.' The first bridge of 1830/1 designed by Rennie was timber with cast iron opening spans. This bridge replaces the second bridge of 1850, designed by Stephenson, which was used for rail traffic when the line from Spalding to Sutton Bridge was extended to King's Lynn in 1866. The bridge is connected underground to The Engine House, Sutton Bridge, item 5/85.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.