© Mr Christopher Strevens
CHURCH OF ST MARK, BATTERSEA RISE SW11
BATTERSEA, WANDSWORTH, GREATER LONDON
Mr Christopher Strevens
12 August 2000
28 June 1954
Date of last amendment:
28 June 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BATTERSEA RISE SWll
TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54 Church of St Mark
the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended
to read as follows:
Anglican church. 1872-4 by William White. Stock brick with red brick dressings and diaper
over mass concrete core, tiled roof. Four-bay nave with north aisles, tower at south-west
corner supporting wooden belfy and shingled broad-eaved broach spire; raised chancel and
ambulatory over crypt. Gabled south porch leads into diminutive south transept.
Internally, the four-bay nave arcade does not follow the pattern of the more regularly-spaced
clerestorey above. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals by Harry Hems.
Aisled windows, one with fragmentary stained glass, have marble sills. Chancel with apsidal
sanctuary set within round brick piers of ambulatory. The spandrels of the ambulatory arcade
gilded and painted with emblems. Tiled floor inset with panels by J R Clayton; choir stalls,
pulpit and font (raised on tiled and stone stepped plinth) to White's designs. Altar on stone
plinth behind low brass rails.
At the east end the ambulatory descends to crypt, with octagonal brick piers and lierne brick
BATTERSEA RISE SW11
Church of St Mark
TQ 2775 9/8 28.6.54
1873 to 76 William White. 13th Century Gothic-style. Yellow brick with red brick
dressings and diaper.
Tower at south-west, integral with west elevation, rises to corbelled upper stage
supporting wooden belfry and shingled broad-eaved broach spire. Gabled south porch
Interior: nave, north aisle, south transept, apsidal sanctuary with ambulatory.
Sanctuary tiles by J R Clayton. Font of Devon marble.