© Mr John Fenton
BRIDGEWATER HOUSE, 14 CLEVELAND ROW SW1
WESTMINSTER, CITY OF WESTMINSTER, GREATER LONDON
Mr John Fenton
05 September 2001
24 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
24 February 1958
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CLEVELAND ROW SW1
No 14 (Bridgewater House)
Vast town mansion. Final design 1845 by Sir Charles Barry, completed
1854 for Lord Ellesmere. Bath stone, slate roof. A massive palazzo
design developing from the architect's Reform Club. 3 storeys and
basement to mansion with single storey coach house and 5 storey service
wing on right hand east side within same overall height. 9 bays wide
with vermiculated quoins. The ground floor has smooth rustication and
large central porch of coupled Tuscan columns with vermiculated banding.
Plain ground floor sash windows with semicircular arches; 1st floor
piano nobile windows with bracketed segmental pediments and blind
balcony balustrades. Plain square 2nd floor windows. Enriched bands
at 1st and 2nd floor levels, bracketed entablature and balustraded
parapet with large carved urns; corniced and rusticated chimney stacks.
Elevation to Green Park of 7 bays in the rhythm 1:5:1, the single outer
bays having wide Venetian windows on the piano nobile. On east side
the coach house blind wall has rusticated quoins, pilasters dividing
3 panels and balustraded ball finialed parapet and is linked to service
wing along Little St James Street by screen wall with double gates to
yard flanked by gate piers with cast iron lamp standards. The service
wing is stucco faced with rusticated quoins. Glazing bar sash windows,
one on 3rd floor with bracketed balcony and canopy. Bracketed crowning
cornice with blocking and corniced turrets to angles with arches. Taller
belvedere to rear with coupled windows, corner turrets and balustrades.
Grand and freely handled High Renaissance style interior of which the
principal feature is the marble lined 2 storey top lit hall arcaded on
both floors, little altered except for the picture gallery. Restored
after war damage and adapted for office use.
London Vol I N Pevsner;
Survey of London; vol XXX