© Mr Barrie S. Dixon
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHESTER ROAD (north side)
STRETFORD, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Mr Barrie S. Dixon
04 March 2001
20 June 1963
Date of last amendment:
20 June 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
STRETFORD CHESTER ROAD
SJ 79 SE
(SJ 7994 SW)
5/10 Church of
20/6/63 St. Matthew
Church. 1842 but enlarged in 1869, 1906 and 1922. W. Hayley
for the Church Commissioners, Brick with ashlar dressings
and slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with later chancel and
a west tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay nave with plinth,
weathered and gableted buttresses, lancet windows and a door
in the western-most bay. Coped gables with kneelers. Vesties
to either side of chancel which has a 3-light east window.
4-stage tower with angled buttresses, west door, 3 stepped
lancets, clock face below gablet, 2 lancet belfry openings
and castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: the
galleries are supported on cast-iron quatrefoil columns.
Carved timber fittings include pews, stalls, pulpit, organ
and reredos. Ceiling supported on shallow arched Gothic
braces. Alabaster font. Minton floor tiles. Stained glass.