You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 212985  

Print Page



© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 212985
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD (south side)
  URMSTON, TRAFFORD, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 29 June 1966
Date of last amendment: 29 June 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for URMSTON CHURCH ROAD (South side) 4/23 Church of St Michael The address shall be amended to read URMSTON CHURCH ROAD (Flixton) (South side) Church of St Michael ------------------------------------ URMSTON CHURCH ROAD SJ 79 SW (south side) (SJ 7493 NE) 4/23 Church of 29/6/66 St. Michael G.V. II* Church. Part of chancel C15, nave and aisles 1756, chancel rebuilt 1815, tower rebuilt and restored in 1731, 1824 and 1888, vestry C19. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, pitched roofs to aisles and a central west tower. 5-bay south aisle and 3-bay north aisle with projecting plinth, round-arched windows with impost capitals and keystones, rusticated quoin strips and eaves cornice. South porch with gable pediment on attached columns. The chancel has a 3-light east window with cusped Y-tracery and weathered diagonal buttresses, both features which are repeated in the C19 vestry. Castellated 3-stage tower with round-arched west door, 3-light west window, broken pediment above 1731 plaque, 3-light round-arched belfry openings with hoodmoulds and keystones and finials above the castellations. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade with round arches on Tuscan columns. King-post roof trusses. Carved stone font, pulpit and reredos. Brass plaque to Richard Radcliffe of 1602, also early C19 wall plaques. Stained glass. Timber pews. R. Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1947.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.